Mission...

OUR MISSION...



"To mobilize our group of professional artists to work with students and artists in different communities in Japan. Through the teaching and practice of the performing arts, Artbridge Japan Collaboration 2010 will endow the students with the tools necessary to flourish within the larger community of artists and civic leaders, enabling these students to become capable and empowered voices for change."

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tsukasa says...

Visiting Japan with Chelsea and Brandon has been very fun and entertaining. They notice so many interesting things about cars, buildings, people that I never even cared about.


I previously talked with them about how I am excited and feel honored to see how these two very talented artists experience this culture and this trip, and also how people in Japan react to the arts we bring. Now, however, I’m starting to understand that this is also a trip for me to rediscover Japan and to find out how I’ve been digesting this unique culture.

It’s been almost two years since I came to the States. I ‘m sure this is going to be perfect timing for me to think about what I’ve gained in NYC over the years and where I’m going as an artist.

Anyway, Japan tour has been great. We got here safely and we didn’t have trouble with jet lags, except for me. I was the one who repeatedly warned them not to sleep too well the night before the flight and to try to sleep as much as possible on the plane because flights between the two countries can cause you a huge jet lag. Now, look who’s dysfunctional because of that! So we spent a day in Tokyo yesterday – what did we do? While I was trying to catch up with Japan’s time zone in the bed, Chelsea and Brandon walked around Korakuen. Chels ate snacks. Brandon is now in love with Onigiri – rice balls.

The town is quiet. Maybe it’s because it’s Bon season now? Bon season is a Buddhist event when we welcome back the spirits of people passed away. People make animals out of vegetables so that the spirits can ride them home and go back. Usually people go back to their hometowns to spend some time with their family during this period.

We are now staying at generous Mr. and Mrs. Yamamoto’s. They are great. They have two great sons and one of them went to the same university as me. I stayed at this house for about one year when I was in the university and since then, they’ve treated me like their son. I’m very happy to meet them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment